[lug] GNU GCC 2.95.3 installation questions

Dan Julio djulio99 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 11:50:23 MST 2002

Hello all,

Does anybody have experience installing GNU GCC 2.95.3
on a Redhat 7.3 system?  I am trying to build the
systemc libraries which require 2.95.3 instead of the
2.96 compiler currently on my machine.

I have tried a bunch of things, all without success
and it is apparent I don't understand all the
necessary components for a correct installation.

I have downloaded the complete gcc package from
http://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourceware/gcc/releases/gcc-2.95.3/

I have built them and installed them 1) in a separate
directory and 2) in the standard /usr/local
directories (after first removing the 2.96 compiler
using rpm -e).  Although the build is successful and I
can compile and run a simple little test program, my
build of the systemc library fails before even getting
started (with an error about config.guess not being
able to figure out what machine it was running on).

Regards, Dan