[lug] Disk IO monitor

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Nov 20 03:23:41 MST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 04:01:25PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> AFAIK, the block I/O stats are only available on a system-wide basis,
> not per-process.
>
> Part of that is that the disc I/O is fairly removed from the individual
> processes.  I could be wrong, but I don't see anything in /proc that
> does it.

Yes, i think that's true for vanilla kernels. In the meantime i installed
'atop' which claims to offer per-process I/O stats when the kernel is
patched to include such information in the per-process stats. Unfortunately
i wasn't able to locate this patch anywhwere ...

I'll post an update as soon as i find the patch (and the time to install
it ;-)

  thanks

     ralfd