[lug] mke2fs

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Nov 22 06:50:22 MST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 23:10, Prafulla Harpanhalli wrote:
> depends on how we, as a sysadd, take it. in many cases
> df -h shows 100% disk utilization on the drive where /
> is mounted. but, some services, like xfs, run as root
> & needs some space on the partition.
>
> there are many other similar intricacies involved, i
> mentioned just one. i had a similar problem which said
> "could'nt start x font server" & my x used to crash.
> it took a bit of time to make out the problem. so its
> better if we leave it the default value.

Interesting point.  When mke2fs creates a partition for use, it doesn't
use all of the available blocks.  e.g.

Filesystem   1k-blocks    Used   Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1    76920416  39533536  35823920  52% /mnt/new

Usually people discover this by noticing that 1k-blocks - (Used +
Available) > 0

76920416 - (39533536 + 35823920) = 1562960 which is 1.5 gig.

If I accept the default, the Used + Available is 95% of the 1k-blocks
and I have 3gigs that root can still use to write to the partition when
non-root users are told the device is full.

This is moot since it is not going to be a / partition, but I'm not
aware of any root process that requires 3gig free in order to start
(e.g. xfs, and others).  Also, if my / is showing 100%, I have either
been careless to let if fill up gradually, or there is a runaway process
that has filled it up and probably filled up the entire partition not
just the user available portion.

Hugh