[lug] SMTP delivery: No route to host

Moon Lee moon-blug at oompa.net
Sun Nov 24 14:23:38 MST 2002

Justin,

 From the rwhois record for your IP, it looks like your dial-up ISP is
WebConnects. I wasn't able to verify this policy on their support page,
but if they are like most dial-up ISPs out there, they block outgoing
SMTP to any host other than their own relay as a matter of policy.

This is the case, for example, with dial-up ISPs such as
Earthlink/Mindspring and ATT Worldnet. The most oft cited rationale for
this policy by providers is that it is a spam prevention measure -- it
prevents the use of open-relays by dial-up bulk e-mailers.

I found some discussion threads related to this topic (google terms:
isp smtp outgoing blocked), there are undoubtedly more:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4572152~root=speakeasy~mode=flat
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi/
NSIDT_ZaBB70DRhGS0UKpbhuDp6T9CqQX4MYFQ4WRbGhg_001195801?area=1623
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:OiuSaGuaa58C:www.dhs.org/
pipermail/dhs-discuss/2001-July/
002110.html+isp+smtp+outgoing+blocked&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I would recommend contacting your ISP to see if there is any recourse
to the policy if it is in effect.

-Moon