[lug] SMTP delivery: No route to host

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 18:06:23 MST 2002

>On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:41:38PM +0000, j davis wrote:
> > also, your email setup is kinda like being a US Citizen in a
> > American airport....Just because a few f-ed up....we are
> > now treated like criminals by our very own country...
>
>SMTP port blocking and post-9/11 airport policies couldn't be further
>apart, so this analogy breaks down very quickly.  I certainly don't
>treat my customers like criminals.  I don't know of any local ISP that
>does that.  I cannot speak for the AOLs of the world though.
> > i.e. you are punishing your users for shit they didnt do,
> > maybe a better idea would be better incoming filters...
> > outgoing filters...how rude...are these not the people
> > paying your bills?
>
>We're not punishing anyone, because over 99% of our customers don't have
>a need to relay to another SMTP server anyway.  And we've accomodated
>the one or two customers that do. (not to mention, we don't restrict SMTP
>at all on our shell account server, for those who use email the way God
>intended--mutt, pine, elm, telnet port 25, etc :)
>
>The argument against blocking SMTP on dialups reminds me of Monty Python's
>Life of Brian.  The scene where the People's Front of Judea finally agreed
>that, even though Stan/Loretta was a man, and could not physically have
>a baby (having no womb), he still had the *right* to have a baby.
>
>This analogy also breaks down quickly, although it's a much more
>entertaining analogy than airports and Gubment goons. :)
>
> > Big Brother sux,
>
>Agreed.
>
>-k

all I am really saying is this....if we the "techs" of the internet keeping
dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator....we will find one
day
that computers are boring little boxes that you cant do anything cool with.
Let the world take care of itself....I mean really I get more dead tree
spam in my mail box than I do electronic spam in my email box...because my
damn mail man wont throw away mail marked with "FREE" or some other obvious
lie.

KOT..i find it funny that my ISP thinks its ok to send me mail telling me
that
640 SDSl price has just dropped and I should get it....but thats not spam
-WTF-

all this wineing from people who didnt even use email a few years ago...
now when they get a spam they go loopy...they dont diserve your mothering..
when people realise the world does NOT OWE YOU anything...they will start
to see....and your not helping

Build a responsable user,
jd

(sorry to rant like a buthead)