[lug] SMTP delivery: No route to host

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 26 23:14:30 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 23:20, Kirk Rafferty wrote:

> I know it's the "geek" thing to do, to run your own mailserver and make
> your own damn connections.  But even amongst the geek crowd, very few
> of us have a legitimate need to do so.  It would be nice if we could, but
> in this case, the benefits of the many really do outweigh those of the
> few.

If this argument were true, then spam would already be outlawed
worldwide.  Instead it's a platitude.  Just block port 25 and move
along... nothing to see here.  Sorry the network can't be used the way
it was intended.

What we really need is new groundbreaking work on server to server
authentication and identification and then further work in the end-user
to end-user realm.

I don't want to trust that my "carrier"'s (to use a telco analogy) mail
server is up and operating to be able to send my mail.  I don't want my
mail routed by any other server other than my own (possibly a privacy
and security risk in itself, although granted anything sensitive should
be encrypted) and I don't like that the "few" (spammers) are breaking
the trust inherent in the systems at the detriment of the "many"... the
rest of us.

Why aren't the largest ISP's lobbying for stricter laws?  Because
they're using spam filters as MARKETING FODDER.  "Use
AOL/Earthlink/Idiots-R-Us!  We'll protect you from the big bad
Internet!"

What a load of CRAP.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X  (AIM: BigNateCO)