threading .. was Re: [lug] SMTP delivery: No route to host

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Nov 28 00:21:14 MST 2002

* dan radom (dan at radom.org) wrote:
> * j davis (davis_compz at hotmail.com) wrote:
> >

> > I use hotmail for list...sorry if its not up to par...
> > is what Im lacking ..
> > jdavis said...
> >  you said....
> > and so on? I guess its time to ditch the hotmail account ...
> > pleae let me know and I will fix or find another mail
> > client....maybe Ximian Evolution. ....Ximian has a spell check :) too!
> > unlike hotmail...Im gona turn over a new leaf and post readable stuff!
> >
> > sorry,
> > jd
> >

> i think you should use whatever you like, and if that's hotmail then
> that's fine.  it's just unfortunate that it breaks threading, and makes
> following discussions very difficult, especially when i've got 1000's of
> emails in a mailbox and they're all sorted by threads.  mutt is the best
> mua ever (imho), and evolution handles threads nicely as well.
>
> cheers and gobble gobble.

Are you using mutt as your mua?  I do, and j davis doesn't break threads
for me.  It may because I have strict threading turned off -- mutt will
thread on the subject as well.  Have you given that a try, if you are
using mutt?  Usually seems to work.  Once in a while it may goof up, but
not very often.

unset strict_threads    # thread only by In-Reply-To/References or by Subject

Just a thought ...

Tim