[lug] OT: Medium Area Network

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Thu Nov 28 22:44:41 MST 2002

If they want a cabled solution, the cost is in laying cable, coredrilling
buildings, etc.  The cost of the wire/fibre becomes trivial compared to
burying pipe for the cables, etc.

Life is about choices.  Your wireless suggestion was probably the
cheapest.  Depending on the density of the buildings and their groupings
and existing telecommunications infrastructure that might be in the
ground, it might be easiest to pull fibre through existing conduit.  Fibre
takes up very little space in a piece of conduit compared to the traffic
it will carry.

Without knowing more it's hard to tell.  It's also hard to tell based on
what jurisdiction they are in, how professional they need the installation
to be, etc.  Lots of things are possible.

-Glenn Ashton