[lug] OT: Digital cameras

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Dec 1 12:22:24 MST 2002

I'm looking for Christmas gifts, and though I tend to want to buy things
that work with linux, this one would have to work with Win 2k (and if it
is nice enough, I might buy one for myself later for linux). People have
talked about digital cameras on linux a lot, but I'm waiting for the
right sale item, so I am not going to just pick what is wanted and go
buy it...I'll snag it when it is on sale, so I can't predict what it'll
be, but I'll probably have to decide fast when I see it (sorry ahead of
time about what probably seems like repeat questions, I need to know the
very current state of what is going on with digital cameras, you can
replay off-list if you wish).

I like the Canon cameras which several people have shown me, they are
probably the #1 choice, but they are also more expensive it seems,
compared to other sale items. I've seen warnings about Kodak, except in
special cases. Can anyone suggest makes and models of *less expensive*
cameras that are good digital cameras that might also work with linux?
How about less expensive makes and models that should be avoided?

Can someone suggest the best type of connect if linux might be involved,
e.g., avoid firewire, go USB? How about memory, e.g., "memory sticks are
nice", or "memory sticks fail when temperature changes", or "mini-cd's
are wonderful"?

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com