[lug] OT: Digital cameras

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Sun Dec 1 12:29:04 MST 2002

> I like the Canon cameras which several people have shown me, they are
> probably the #1 choice, but they are also more expensive it seems,
> compared to other sale items.

I've got a Canon PowerShot S230, and it's fabulous.  Small, light, fast,
full-featured.  But you're right-- it's a bit expensive ($400).  There
are, however, less expensive Canon models.

> Can someone suggest the best type of connect if linux might be
> involved, e.g., avoid firewire, go USB? How about memory, e.g.,
> "memory sticks are nice", or "memory sticks fail when temperature
> changes", or "mini-cd's are wonderful"?

Again from experience (with Canon) the USB connector is nice and fast.
I thought about buying a $30 CompactFlash reader-- which has a USB
connector-- but have been happy just downloading pictures directly from
the camera.