[lug] OT: Digital cameras

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 1 12:49:38 MST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 12:29, Jeff Schroeder wrote:

> >From what I've read, USB is a little more mature in Linux than Firewire.
> Setting it up isn't too difficult, and the speed is certainly
> satisfactory (do you really need Firewire's 400Mbps to transfer
> pictures?).

I concur with Jeff.  USB camera support is becoming quite good on Linux
provided that you use recent kernels and USB user-space tools (that is,
libusb).   For further references, see:

  http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

which has an excellent list of camera compatibilities:

  http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

I've used a half-dozen Kodak cameras (DC-260,265,290,4800, DX-3600,3900)
and, though all of them work with Linux, I can't recommend any of the
new DX series.  They have crappy firmware, expensive and short-lived
batteries, and are generally of cheap construction.  If you can find a
used DC-4800 in good condition then thats a nice camera.  Or at least
the best Kodak has sold to date, IMNSHO.

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483