[lug] Problems with SuSe 8.0 on Toshiba Tecra 8100

William Petty billpetty at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 1 19:45:04 MST 2002

I have been playing with Suse 7.1 on my Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop for a
while with
excellent results, but could never get the WiFi wireless pcmcia card to
work.  I am
now trying SuSe 8.0 (Which fixed the wireless problems) but I now have
two issues
I can't seem to resolve.  The sound, which worked OK in 7.1, is now just
buzzing.

The sound system is using snd-xxx.o modules which were installed with
the initial
installation.  However, there seems to be no source files in the src
path with matching
names.  The only sound source files use the old naming style.  I have
rebuilt the modules
with make modules, but none of the failing drivers were built and the
SuSe web site is
no use either.  This laptop uses the yamaha chip set. and that is what
is being used, but
the sound is clipped to what seems to be a single binary level.

The second problem is with compact flash cards (used with my digital
camera) and
ide_cs.o.  The file installed with initial installation errors out with
"kernel: ide_cs: Card Services release does not match!"  I do not
understand this one
at all!  I cannot find an ide_cs.o file but there is an ide-cs.o which
doesn't seem to work
either.  The message log has many references to attempting to load the
ide_cs.o file after
card insertion, but I don't know where the dependancies are being set
for this file.

I live in Colorado Springs, but have been unable to turn up any local
experts for Suse.
Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks, Bill Petty