[lug] Int'l or Ext. Chars on QWERTY

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 2 00:09:58 MST 2002

Hey all,

Does X provide a universal method of getting a character into a text
field if that character is not on your keyboard?

Example:  I want to search on Amazon for a book by Jaenich, but that
'ae' should really have an umlaut over the a, and no e (the a needs two
dots over it).

So does X have a general method, or is it simply an app-by-app thing?  I
know how to do it with VI, I think I used to know a way to do it on the
Linux console, but that sure doesn't help for Mozilla.

Thanks,

Tim

PS -> Whether or not Amazon could handle the search with the int'l char
is another thing altogether.