[lug] Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7, then hang

Kenneth D. Weinert mc at morat.net
Mon Dec 2 13:15:24 MST 2002

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:56:02 -0700
Andrew Gilmore <agilmore at uc.usbr.gov> wrote:

> I've googled a bit for this one, but come up empty so far.
> If anyone has any ideas, that'd be great.
>
> Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7
> then about once a second or two:
> (without DMA enabled)
> hda: lost interrupt
> (with DMA enabled)

	I don't know if this is related or not, but I had very
similiar problems with HiPoint RAID controller and Maxtor
drives. Evidently they don't play well together.

	At this point I have 2 40G drives that aren't being used
because I don't have a controller to plug them in to. Once I turned of
the HiPoint chips the box boots up fine. And, BTW, it didn't matter if
I was using them in RAID or in IDE mode, same result either way.

	I've dropped some hints, we'll see if Santa comes through :)
I'd be more concerned about it, but I've not yet needed the other two
drives, but I can foresee the day when it will become an issue.

/~\ The ASCII        Ken Weinert   Ken.Weinert at ihs.com
\ / Ribbon Campaign  303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
 X  Against HTML     GnuPG: 9274F1CE  GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
/ \ Email!           1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
		 The Instant of the first Atomic Bomb

    At that moment, man, made in God's image, had used his powers of
scientific invention to make his first attempt to destroy himself.

    The attempt succeeded.