[lug] OT: Digital cameras

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 2 23:50:57 MST 2002

* John Dollison (johndollison at hotmail.com) wrote:

[snip]

> I find the picture quality to be just fine for my purposes, which is really
> the most important consideration, to my mind.  I take mostly family photos
> and running club photos, but it can also do macro-shots and self-timer
> shots.  I can print out 5x7's that look terrific, and 8x10's are good too,
> if you hold them at arm's length.  (Slight jaggies are visible if you look
> closely; that's why 3-MP cameras are recommended for 8x10 prints.)  However,
> I'm frustrated by the delay between the time you click the shutter release
> button and when the camera actually takes the shot. (It seems like about 1 -
> 4 seconds, depending on lighting and such, so fast-action sports shots are
> out.)  I also find the low-light performance a little lacking, which may be
> an important consideration for some people.  For example, dance clubs,
> sunset weddings, etc. may not get good results.  To see examples of my
> indoor and outdoor photos, check out
> http://community.webshots.com/user/johndollison

The shutter lag and low light problems are common to all lower end
cameras.  I have yet to hear of *any* digital point and shoot cameras
that can really solve those.  You have to go into the digital SLR realm
to truly solve them.  That said, if you are not really serious about
photography, some are better than others, and it might not bother you.

> It can use either standard NiMH "AA" rechargeables or expensive "AA" lithium
> photo batteries.  I use the NiMH's, which are good for about 50 - 80 photos
> (depending on flash).  I always carry a spare set of batteries, just in
> case.  Some other cameras use proprietary battery packs, which can be very
> expensive.  (A friend of mine has a Canon, and that's his chief complaint,
> with the second complaint being the heat it generates.)

[snip]

Tim