[lug] RTOS -music to my ears

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Dec 3 03:14:34 MST 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:29:03PM -0700, Kenneth D. Weinert wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:34:15 -0700
> David Morris <david at morris-clan.net> wrote:
> >
> > [ on the topic of getting RT-speed ]
> > The real solution to get the maximum possible speed is to
> > compile *everything*...which cannot easily be done with a
> > standard distribution.  There is, however, a distro
> > dedicated to this.  I, unfortunately, cannot recall the name
> > off the top of my head, but I'm certain someone else on the
> > list will be happy to fill in the blank.

I do not think this will make any significant difference (in
this case: audible difference). I've tried a lot of Linux
sound applications during the last two years and i never ever
encountered a situation where processor speed was an issue
(even on my ol' 233Mh laptop). "Speed" for realtime audio
apps mostly means bandwidth (of the disk) and latency -- both
are the job of the OS kernel (and unfortunately not really
a target for most Linux kernel developers).

> Linux From Scratch
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Really nice for it's educational value, but i'd tune/patch my
kernel and use one of the mentioned multimedia distros.

  ralfd