[lug] Speaker for Dec. Meeting

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Dec 3 13:50:40 MST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 12:39, Riddoch Chris wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> We'll be back in our usual room, Fleming Law 104, for December's meeting.
> I had a potential speaker for the meeting, but that's fallen through, so I
> need a little help.  What do you want to hear about?  Have you learned
> something interesting lately about Linux and would like to share it?
>
> Also, I'm changing my email setup.  If I'm in your address book, please
> make a little change: from socket at peakpeak.com to
> Christopher.Riddoch at colorado.edu.  Thanks!

Hi Chris,

I'd be interested to know what others in BLUG are doing with Linux and
all the cool Free and Open Source projects out there.

I'm not sure how to best organize such a meeting but perhaps a few
people could give short demos like what Dhruva suggested.  For the rest,
we could just go around the room asking folks to provide quick answers
to (for example):

  1) your name

  2) what to you use Linux (and Free/OSS in general) for most often?

  3) are you involved with any Free/OSS projects?  if so, which?

  4) what feature/fix/app/whatever would you most like to see
     available on Linux?

  5) *quickly* describe one of your favorite features, hacks,
     problems solved with Linux.

I realize that some folks detest public speaking and thats ok--they can
say as little as they want.  For the rest of us, I'm thinking it could
be fun (generate some good conversations) if we keep the answers
succinct.

Ed

ps - I'll volunteer to give a quick demo of Linux for scientific
computing.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483