[lug] Problems with WINE

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Tue Dec 3 15:13:48 MST 2002

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 at 21:02 -0700, D. Stimits soliloquized thusly:
> Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
>
> "Permission denied" looks like a good place to start. Why is it trying
> to find files in the lost+found directory of linux? I don't have any
> experience with wine, but if it can be run as root, give it a shot...see

FYI, it may be possible to run WINE as root, but it is not possible to
run the setup utility.

> what happens if you temporarily give rx perms to that particular
> lost+found (chmod 755). And if you ever try to write to an NTFS

Haven't figured out why it's trying to access 'lost+found', but changing
the permissions does make any difference.

> partition (is this vfat or NTFS?), you are out of luck...if you are
> actually brave enough to add write support to NTFS, you are better off
> crashing wine than succeeding.

Yeah, I'm aware of this, which is why I use FAT32 :-)

> D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish
we didn't." Erica Jong (b. 1942); US author