ALSA on Dell Inspiron 8000 (was Re: [lug] Problems with SuSe 8.0 on Toshiba Tecra 8100)

Andrew Gilmore agilmore at uc.usbr.gov
Wed Dec 4 07:59:03 MST 2002

There are about a million Dell laptop pages out there, and at least 35
from linux-laptop.net on the Inspiron 8000, so I am not sure how much I
have to add.

However, if this helps:

ALSA on the I8K was a matter of getting the latest distributions (I've
used 4 or 5 versions now) from the alsa project page. I've not tried
doing an rpm for this, which may be bad, but...

The alsa-driver package is needed first. To compile,

/configure --with-cards=dummy,virmidi,maestro3

was the conf line I used. You probably only need the maetro3 card
specified to get sound to work.

make and make install.

then alsa-libs, make and make install, no special configure options.

then alsa-tools, alsa-utils, and alsa-oss can be optionally used.
alsa-oss is quite useful for audio tools that understand oss/free i/o
but not alsa.

There is a fair amount of mucking around in modules.conf, as someone
said, but it is well explained, I thought. More is also needed for oss
compatibility.

This is all under Redhat, versions 7.1-8.0.

Questions?

Andrew