[lug] Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7, then hang

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Dec 4 20:44:31 MST 2002

> Well, partial success.
>
> I tried a 8139too card in the machine, and it worked without this hang.
> I attempted to upgrade the kernel to the newest rh kernel, but the CDROM
> will not read the CD-RW I burnt with the data on it. :( I installed from
> CD, so I know the drive works. The CD-RW works in another machine. WIERD.

FYI, there are a number of drives that can read CD-R but not CD-RW. I
have an older scsi drive like that...actually, it seems to not be able
to boot off of bootable CD's unless they are the aluminized or CD-R
type...it can read CD-RW, it just can't boot off of it. Mounting it on
that machine often requires multiple mount attempts, giving errors,
until it finds it finally feels like cooperating. I think it has
something to do with the wavelength of the laser diodes and the colors
of the medium.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com