[lug] Open Source Software Licenses & the University

Daniel Webb webb at danielwebb.us
Fri Dec 6 01:06:59 MST 2002

I know several of you are at the University, so I'm forwarding this along.
I found out yesterday that I will almost certainly be able to GPL my
graduate research here at Colorado, which is great.  What I thought was
weird is that I am only the third or fourth person to do so.  The first
was within the last year (on a BSD license).  All the people to do so thus
far are in Physics.  What's the deal with that?  Don't we have a computer
science department?  I'm in engineering, so I don't know too much about
computer science at Colorado, but it's embarrasing to me that
there haven't been any major computer science projects open sourced from
our University.

Also, I noticed an email address in the header when I received this was
an address @microsoft.com.  I have heard that computer science here is
Microsoft-dominated (or funded), which would explain the stinginess. That
was just a rumor, so please correct me on that if I'm wrong.