[lug] Blurry text with new monitor

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Dec 8 18:05:55 MST 2002

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:08:10PM -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:
>  I'll second this.  I have had an NEC Multisync 70 for quite a few years

I don't know about NEC...  Over the last decade I've had 3 NEC displays
and none of them had the longevity that I wanted.  The first one I got
to hook up to this HP workstation, and it was one of the only displays I
could find that would sync to what the HP was putting out.  It got
awfully blurry after a year though.  I think that was a Multisync 4D or
something.

Back in around 1996, we got a pair of NEC Multisync 17XP displays --
their highest end 17" displays (costing right around $1000 each).  These
were actually replacements for a pair of Nokia displays that were
awfully blurry, even in the on-screen menu.

While neither one of these has died yet, one of them squeals quite a lot
at certain refresh rates and the other one was getting fairly blurry...
By 2000 efm and I had both converted over to laptops though.

On the other hand, I have this Samsung 17" display that I bought from a
friend of mine who was moving back to Austrailia, I got it for $75 back
in 1997, and he had been using it for like 5 years prior to that.  That
display is still putting out VERY nice output, with no squealing...

Too bad it costs around $2k to get an LCD display that has similar
capabilities to a $300 19" CRT...  Sure, prices on 15" 1024x768 displays
are way down, but if you want 1280x1024 or better resolution, it's gonna
hurt.

Sean
--
 Linux: The Official Operating System of the Internet.
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/