[lug] Open Source Software Licenses & the University

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 12:33:35 MST 2002

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Webb <webb at danielwebb.us> writes:

Daniel> The thing I never understood is why companies haven't figured
Daniel> out how much money they would save if they just figure out a
Daniel> way to work cooperatively on things like software.

Sometimes they do.  For instance the Eclipse IDE falls into this
category -- it is run sort of like a consortium, where membership is
company-based instead of the more usual (in free software circles)
individual-based.

It seems to me that for companies to come together like this, there
has to be some seed around which they can crystallize.  They don't
just spontaneously form cooperative groups.

Tom