[lug] How to open menu in gnome/kde

Andrew R. Diederich diederic at boulder.net
Mon Dec 9 15:11:29 MST 2002

On 9 Dec 2002, Ed Hill wrote:

> As root, running
>
>   telinit 3
>
> will put you in runlevel 3 which should kill all X windows completely.
> At that point you can, if you want, edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (the
> name under RH/KRUD 7.3 -- may be different in RH/KRUD 8) file by hand or
> using some other tool.
>
> Running
>
>   telinit 5
>
> will put you back in runlevel 5 and will re-start the X server with any
> new config info that you've set.

Thanks Ed.  I hadn't thought of that.  I did figure out that the right
CTRL-ALT-BS works better than the left version for killing the X server.

I figure there must be a keyboard shortcut for getting that menu open.
I'd be chagrined if MS Windows has better keyboard navigation support than
gnome and KDE!

--
Andrew