[lug] Gnome workspace navigation. Was show desktop

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Dec 12 12:10:44 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 14:24, Gary Hodges wrote:
> With an older version of Gnome I was able to set up a key sequence to
> move between different workspaces.  Ctrl -> would move me to the
> workspace on the right for example.  With newer versions of Gnome I have
> never been able to do this.  I also can't drag windows between spaces
> the way I want.  I use four workspaces:
>
> 1  2
> 3  4
>
> I can't drag a window from 4 to 2.  It forces me to drag it through 3
> first.  With an older Gnome version, I could drag a window from 4 to 2.
> Am I missing something here?  Its been several months, but I spent a
> long time one afternoon looking at the config setup without any luck.

In older versions of gnome there were the concepts of the viewport and
the workspace.  A workspace could be subdivided into 4 viewports and you
could edge flip and drag to different viewports.  In the gnome that
ships with Redhat 8 (gnome 2 in general I think), the viewports are
gone.  You only have workspaces and you can't drag easily (it seems like
there were some hacks that I found googl'ing but it didn't seem worth
the effort).  Lack of edge flipping and window dragging in gnome is a
deal breaker for me, so I use AfterStep.

Hugh