[lug] Typesetting Programs

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Dec 12 13:01:29 MST 2002

I was wondering what people out there use for typesetting?
I am looking for a program to create nice formatting for:

    (a) manual text editing using VIM
    (b) Automatic documentation generation

Note that the end product in both cases will be a printed
hardcopy *and* a PDF file.  The ability to easily put the
same document onto a web page is a bonus, but not
required....a tools that offers more options/better
formatting that does not have HTML support will be chosen
over a lesser tools that does.

I have looked at groff/troff, but documentation seems to be
a bit thin, and generally aimed more at creating man pages
(and similar) than pretty documents.

TeX/LaTeX was the next obvious choice, and I am slowly
working through documentation to find out if it will do all
I need.

Anyone have any recommendations?  Good documentation is a
must as for the auto-documentation task, other people will
have to make modifications to the generation process.

--David