[lug] Gnome workspace navigation. Was show desktop

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Dec 13 11:31:25 MST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 10:48, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Hugh Brown wrote:
> >
> > In older versions of gnome there were the concepts of the viewport and
> > the workspace.  A workspace could be subdivided into 4 viewports and you
> > could edge flip and drag to different viewports.  In the gnome that
> > ships with Redhat 8 (gnome 2 in general I think), the viewports are
> > gone.  You only have workspaces and you can't drag easily (it seems like
> > there were some hacks that I found googl'ing but it didn't seem worth
> > the effort).  Lack of edge flipping and window dragging in gnome is a
> > deal breaker for me, so I use AfterStep.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Been out sick and am just now reading it.  I
> guess I have gotten mostly used to not having that dragging feature, but
> I still miss it.  I could get around it if I could just get the key
> bindings to work at all.  There is an option under "Context: Window" for
> "Send to Workspace X" that would solve a lot of my wants if I could just
> get it to work.  Unfortunately I can't get any of the key bindings to
> work.

I think I missed most of this, but you can "Stick" a window so that when
you change workspaces, it will show up in the desktop page you changed
to.  Then you can unstick it to leave it there.

Sticking is an option of the window manager (in fact, so are the
workspaces) and can be accessed from the title bar menu or from the
tasklist panel - right click on your apps task entry button to get a
menu, then select "stick" or "unstick".

This is how I move windows between workspaces using Sawfish under
GNOME.  Dragging works, but only on the current workspaces, so sticking
is the only way (that I know of) to move a window to a different
workspace.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>
Graphics Muse