[lug] kde problems with krud/redhat 8.0

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Dec 13 15:03:41 MST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 16:53, Elyse Grasso wrote:
> On Thursday 12 December 2002 12:06 pm, Hugh Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 13:40, Elyse Grasso wrote:
> > > I upgraded to 8.0 over the weekend trying to fix my kppp problem
> (which seems
> > > to have gotten worse rather than better).
> > >
> > > What has happened to the KDE Control Center? The Help files haven't
> changed,
> > > but the only modules it shows me are CDDB, The desktop settings
> wizard,
> > > Desktop switching tool, and Sessions.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to get back the functionality of the ControlCenter?
> Or is this
> > > part of the KDE breakage in 8.0 that I have heard mentioned.
> > >

> > from a terminal run "kcontrol"
> >
> Nope. That just brings up the broken one, but it looks like most of the
> proper functionality has gotten stuck under Preferences...

I had misunderstood the problem.  It sounds like some package is
missing.  I am running Redhat 8 and everything shows up when I run
kcontrol.  I did modify the language settings in /etc/sysconfig/i18n
back to the way it was under 7.3.

I can send a list of kde packages I have installed if you like.  I also
did a clean install rather than an upgrade.

Hugh