[lug] Local DNS required?

jdavis lug at taproot.bz
Fri Dec 13 19:30:21 MST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 17:06, Anders Knudsen wrote:
> Background: my brother owns and manages a furniture store, and just got
> broadband access to his showroom. With this came 5 static IP addresses.
> He already has a domain name, and is using a webhost to serve up a
> static intro page with a real website in the works.
>
> Question: Now, with this domain name, what is the easiest way to get a
> DNS entry to use his new IP address, thereby allowing him to run a web
> server, and a mail server, running linux, locally (in the building?) I
> guess my question is, are there DNS'es out there where you can just have
> your domain name resolved to the IP address you choose? Or, would he
> have to run a proper DNS in the building?
>
> TIA,
> -anders.

you need to go to the registar for the domain and set the ip of
a dns server thats serving for you. You can dns serve your self, but you
will have to register your dns server, or you can get some one else to
do it
for you. If your ISP is cool, I would just ask them to do it. If not
there are free DNS services like....http://www.xname.org/. This goes for
the MX (mail) to...just have whoever is doing dns point your mx at your
dns'ed mail server ...i.e. mail.your_domain.bz. If you do decide to go
with your own DNS server, I have found bindconf-gui to be very usefull.

HTH,
jd
jd at taproot.bz
http://www.taproot.bz