[lug] Debian is better?

Jack Swope jack.swope at minolta-qms.com
Mon Dec 16 13:47:44 MST 2002

I am a RedHat user and administrator.  I have tried Suse, Mandrake,
Caldera,  and Slackware.  I currently have 20 some machines running
RH7.2 through 8.0 and I would have to agree with the dislike for RH8.0.
 It is a typical .0 release from RedHat and not really ready for prime
time.  I like the ease of use of RedHat especially the rpm functions.  I
kind of miss linuxconf.  It wasn't a perfect tool but at least it wasn't
named redhat-config-???? and you could run it from a console instead of
having to be in X.  I personally like tools and GUIs as I have to
administer a fair number of machines and it is typically easier to teach
users how to do certain things with a GUI rather than a CLI.

That would be my 2cents worth.

Also, I have found that the upgrade from 7.2 or 7.3 to RH8.0 works
fairly well.  It doesn't take away very much and most of the systems
just continue to work.