[lug] Debian is better?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Dec 18 00:30:19 MST 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 05:42:52PM -0700, jdavis wrote:
>  While at BestBuy this weekend I spoke to there Linux install
>tech. He informed me that I am almost a looser for using

Ahh yes, Best Buy really is the place to go for quality Linux advice.

>for concern when picking a desktop distro. The tech at Best-Buy also
>said that Debian is more powerfull than Redhat...I dont really know

Does he have benchmarks to back this up?  What he really means is that
he likes something about Debian.  It may be the software, it could be
the software repository, or it could even be that the tech's "cool
friends" use Debian and like to put down Red Hat...

It could be lots of reasons, but I doubt he'd be able to back up a "more
powerful" claim.

>heared in a while. Really, what makes a Linux distro more powerfull than
>another? I would say support contracts and software that *works*...

That's important.  If it works for you, it's all good...  Try Debian,
see if you like it.  Use what you want to use...

Sean
--
 Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
                 -- Eric Hoffer