[lug] Debian is better?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Wed Dec 18 15:09:12 MST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:24:56AM -0700, David Morris wrote:
>or cancel the installation.  On Red-Hat, there is no
>guarantee of this, merely tools that help avoid
>problems...when I was using RedHat, I once managed to make
>my system completely unusable because of the lack of
>dependancy checking, and I know other people still using

That must have been a very long time ago.  RPM has had dependency
checking since Red Hat version 3, I believe...  Of course, if you
install or remove a package with "--nodeps", you get what you deserve.
If rpm complains about dependencies, "--nodeps" is saying "Hey, I know
better and you should do this anyway."

The instances where I've installed packages that broke things have been
very few and far between.  In fact, I can't think of a time when I've
had a dependency problem with RPMs that rpm didn't warn me about.

Sean
--
 It would be interesting to be a squirel.  They have the cute outfits...  The
 right kind can fly...  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1998