[lug] Debian is better?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Dec 19 02:14:23 MST 2002

I just want to know why you can --force an install but not an
UN-install... with RPM.  That's super-duper-lame.

That one really chaps me sometimes when I *know* I want a package
gone...  I'm the damn sysadmin, not RPM!  (Of course there are ways
around this, but then your RPM database isn't really correct without
more work.)

An example, say I've compiled my own version of Apache someplace on the
filesystem and would like to remove the httpd package... without
removing all the OTHER things that depend on having Apache around.  With
other package tools they give me the option to shoot myself in the foot
if I want to... RPM refuses to allow it.

I don't know how I feel about that.

And no, I can't make an RPM for every custom version of Apache... let's
say I'm running ten of them.  All compiled differently.  But they can
and should be able to SHARE stuff like php binaries... and I should be
able to force the removal of RedHat's package.

Anyone know the history behind why they don't allow for this in RPM?  Or
some way to do it "cleanly"?

Nate