[lug] Web page test

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Dec 19 09:22:30 MST 2002

J. Wayde Allen said:

> An acquaintance of mine is experimenting with a web tool and has created
> the following test page:
>
>    http://www.nobledead.com/tab-test.asp
>
> He is curious how compatible this is with various browsers under
> different OS's.  If any of you get the chance to check it out, please
> let me know what OS, distribution, and browser you are using, how it
> displays, and if clicking on the tabs changes the displayed window pane.

A nice place to start is with actual HTML.  The page that that script
generates is pretty far from.  Standards are the only rational way to
approach cross-product compatibility.  You can't test with every browser,
but if your page is valid and it doesn't work with a given browser that's
/their/ bug.

It is hard to even get the W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org/) to
even run against your friends page, since it doesn't declare an HTML
version (which kind of makes sense in light of the fact that it isn't
HTML) or a character encoding.

At a guess I tried UTF-8 and XHTML 1.0 transitional, 4.01 transitional and
3.2.  It doesn't qualify as any of the three.

Now, it may be that what he is trying to do is not possible in pure HTML,
but there is no reason why he can't declare his doctype, encoding, and use
proper script tags.

Having said all that, I'll give it a go on Konq and Phoenix when I get home.

-Peter