[lug] LockedArea and similar apps?

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Dec 19 16:44:32 MST 2002

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 04:00 pm, John Hernandez wrote:
> Elyse Grasso wrote:
> | My company wants to add a customers-only area, with password access,
> | our website (Apache 1.3.22).
> |
> | One package we are looking at is called Locked Area Lite. Is anyone
in
> | the group using it? Are there other apps that folks prefer?
> |

> Elyse, if you need something fancier than Apache's built-in BasicAuth
> for user registration and management on a fairly large scale, there's
> a decent GPL package called BURP.  I find it to be well-suited for
> Linux servers, fairly well documented, and flexible.
>
> http://peter.nyc.ny.us/burp/

I downloaded the package, but it seems to need the Apache source? Does
anyone know the best place to get that for KRUD/RedHat 8.0? It doesn't
seem happy with just httpd-devel...

(Another piece that seems to be broken after upgrading from 7.3 to 8.0:
RedHat took away kpackage, but the Package Management tool has a broken
subset of the RedHat Package Management tool that's described in the
redhat docs: it has a title that says "Add or remove packages", a list
of package groups, and 2 buttons: Update and cancel. No help, no menus,
no way to switch to a flat list of packages, no discernable way to find
out what files are in a package... no search tools or way to examine an
rpm without installing it... Is this what it is supposed to do? Or did
the upgrade process, which is broken itself and only runs in text mode
from the CD, mangle something? Is there a different entry point to the
tool that actually provides some functionality that isn't showing up
via the command line and iconic invocations? GRRR.)

Elyse