[lug] ssl mutt & pop

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Dec 20 14:59:01 MST 2002

>>>>> "David" == David Owen Kritzberg <david.kritzberg at colorado.edu> writes:

David> Most ssl-enabled email connections seem to rely on IMAP and the
David> maildir format, neither of which interest me.  I have been looking
David> around for examples using fetchmail and procmail.  I wonder if anyone
David> on this list has resolved a situation similar to mine?  Thanks for any
David> advice.

This last year I switched to using fetchmail to get my mail from IMAP
(Red Hat disabled their internal POP servers, which is what I'd used
for preceding 5 years).  It turned out to be easier to do local
delivery using procmail than to configure postfix properly (I'm an
exceedingly lazy sysadmin).

Here's what my config looks like from .fetchmailrc:

# Fetch via ssh tunnel to Red Hat.
poll localhost with proto IMAP port 2993
       user tromey there with password as-if-id-tell-you is tromey here
       ssl mda "procmail -d %T"

Note that I also use an ssh tunnel, hence the weird port.  You would
probably use the real mail server name instead of `localhost', and not
use a port setting.

I also configure fetchmail to run in daemon mode, but then I'm usually
online all day.

Tom