[lug] heavy load = beep..beep....beep

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sat Dec 21 16:02:41 MST 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 15:43, James wrote:
> My computer beeps under heavy load.  for example... every time I build a
> kernel.  For the most part it only happens when I am building kernels.
> Recently I have been building a lot of kernels trying to get my
> accelerated tv-out working on my g400.  Needless to say it has become an
> huge annoyance.  I am currently running Slack 8.1 with various kernels
> (2.4.18, 2.4.19, 2.4.20). It also did the same thing under RH 7.3
> and possibly 7.2, though I am not sure.  I haven't seen anything in my
> logs, and no its not my UPS. ;-) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It is probably a heat sensor.  Check your BIOS for sensor data.  See if
it has an alarm setting.  If that is the reason for the beeps, then I
recommend better case ventilation or you might need a larger heat sink
on the CPU.  Did you build the system yourself?  If not, ask the system
builder's tech support about it.

In Linux, to read the motherboard heat sensors and fan speeds (if the
board supports it) try the lm_sensors2 package.  RedHat includes it in
their kernel (although not the latest and greatest version) and your
distro might also.

As an example, on my motherboard (a dual Tyan AMD) I need the modules:
i2c-core, i2c-proc, i2c-amd756 and w83781d.  I also need this line in
modules.conf: "options w83781d force_subclients=0,0x3d,0x4a,0x4b"  (I
found those by using Google).  Unless you also have a dual AMD board,
you probably won't need strange options.

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>