[lug] Free Software Consortium page triggers bug

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Dec 23 12:08:13 MST 2002

Re: http://www.fsconsortium.com/

Their web page also triggers a tight loop in my Linux setup that is
hard to get out of.  My cpu was consumed 50% by X11, and the rest
split between sawfish and mozilla1.1.    I don't know where the
bug really lies, but I've seen this once before when a very simple
web page used some javascript to constantly change the <title>.

I had to log in from another box and do this to get a different
page loaded and active:
  DISPLAY=:0 mozilla -remote "openurl(http://www.mozilla.org)"

The script is:

 <script language="JavaScript1.2">
 var message="Free Software Consortium"
 var message=message+"          "
 i="0"
 var temptitle=""
 var speed="150"

 function titler(){
 if (!document.all&&!document.getElementById)
 return
 document.title=temptitle+message.charAt(i)
 temptitle=temptitle+message.charAt(i)
 i++
 if(i==message.length)
 {
 i="0"
 temptitle=""
 }
 setTimeout("titler()",speed)
 }

 window.onload=titler
 </script>

I fixed it by disabling javascript.  I wish there was an easy way
to leave javascript off most of the time, but know when it would
really be useful to enable it for a page.

Anyone know if this is a bug in mozilla, sawfish or X11?
I'm running redhat 7.3, mozilla 1.1.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60