[lug] XF86 multi-vid cards

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Dec 30 14:15:53 MST 2002

> On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 11:38, Paul Nowosielski wrote:
> > Ok this is what I've done so far.
> > Taken out all the modules, changed IRQ's, and changed from the Nvidia
> > driver to the NV driver which does not load openGL mods.
> >
> >  Now when I type xinit both screens initialize and I can use the
> > keyboard.
> >  But if I type in anything but a simple command the box locks up.
> > bash$ ls -l
> > is fine but
> > bash$ vi /etc/X11/XFree86-4
> > locks the box up.
> >
> > I can launch the blackbox WM on one moniter 0:0.0 but not on 0:0.1 .
> > When it is running on 0:0.1 it fills 1 monitor and the second one has a
> > little bit of the WM.
> > When I touch the mouse to the right side of the screen everything locks,
> > when I launch an app every thing locks.
> > So.. I think this may just be a hardware problem.
> > The S3 is very old and the nvidia is new but I am including my config if
> > any one wants to take a look.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help suggestions!

At one time I was looking to put three video cards in my
home system, but before I started beating my head against a
wall I found that GeForce cards do not work well in a
multi-card environment in Linux.  At the time, it was
guaranteed that nothing would work properly if even one of
multiple cards was a GeForce card...I have since heard that
some people have gotten multiple displays to work using
GeForce cards, but there is no rhyme or reason in what works
and what doesn't.

Note that my information on this is about a year old now, so
something *might* have changed, but it isn't likely.  No
major kernel changes in that time, and only relatively minor
updates to the NVidia drivers.  You might check out mailing
lists for the XFree86 project and see if anyone there has
made progress on the problem.

Best of luck.

--David