[lug] XF86 multi-vid cards

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon Dec 30 15:12:46 MST 2002

Paul Nowosielski wrote:

> Ok this is what I've done so far.
> Taken out all the modules, changed IRQ's, and changed from the Nvidia
> driver to the NV driver which does not load openGL mods.
>
>  Now when I type xinit both screens initialize and I can use the
> keyboard.
>  But if I type in anything but a simple command the box locks up.
> bash$ ls -l
> is fine but
> bash$ vi /etc/X11/XFree86-4
> locks the box up.
>
> I can launch the blackbox WM on one moniter 0:0.0 but not on 0:0.1 .

I think you may need to create two servers of one display each, rather
than one server of two displays: 0:0.0 and 0:1.0 (not 0:0.1). Something
you may try before resorting to separate servers is to look for all
shared memory options, and turning off all shared memory. I think you
can find those for NVidia cards in some of their documentation (even if
it is arcane and not obvious to find), but I'm not sure about the S3
card. But after removing hardware accel, the next step is to turn off
all shared memory extensions (they might be off already...in xdpyinfo,
look for MIT-SHM while running only one display at a time).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com