[lug] Re: Another question on X. displaying at two resolutions simultaneously?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Dec 31 10:08:49 MST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 10:10, Phil Rasch wrote:
> I looked at xinerama, but it looked like it was designed to work with
> two cards, and they expect to make the displays contain different
> images (even if it was one logical screen). I want the same image on
> both displays (just at different resolution)

Xinerama is actually designed to allow multiple monitors on one or more
video cards.  It's what is being used to run those "walls of monitors"
showing one big image.

What you need in hardware is video support for dual heads - two
monitors, one video chipset (re: card).  If you're laptop (which is, if
I remember the earlier messages, what you're trying this on) doesn't
support this, you won't be able to do it.

I know on my IBM i1410 (and older laptop) I could use keyboard controls
to make the display go to the laptop display and out the VGA port at the
same time.  I used this method for doing my talks at ALS and
LinuxWorld.  I'm pretty sure you need to do some tweaking to the XFree86
config file to make it work under X, but I don't remember it being too
difficult.  Problem is, I don't think I still have that config.  I've
reloaded the OS since then and I don't think I kept the old config.
That was pre-XFree86 4.x too, so maybe such tweaks are no longer
necessary.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>
Graphics Muse