[lug] Re: Another question on X. displaying at two resolutions simultaneously?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jan 1 16:36:15 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 14:54, Phil Rasch wrote:
> Forgive me if I snip too much.
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> > What you need in hardware is video support for dual heads - two
> > monitors, one video chipset (re: card).  If you're laptop (which is, if
> > I remember the earlier messages, what you're trying this on) doesn't
> > support this, you won't be able to do it.
>
> And Ed Hill wrote:
> > Flipping through "Fn-F7", my ThinkPad A22p running XFree 4.x will
> > simultaneously display the same desktop image on both the LCD at
> > 1600x1200 and on a projector at 1024x768.  Of course, it looks a lot
> > nicer at the higher res, but the text is visible at the lower res using
> > a sufficiently large font.  I've given a few presentations using it in
> > exactly this manner.

> I would be curious to know see Ed's XF86Config-4 file (maybe offline?)
> and know whether his BIOS is configured to allow the stretch option.

Hi Phil,

Yeah, I've heard that the Savage chipsets are not particularly well
supported by XFree (see: http://linux-laptop.net/) and thats one of the
reasons I chose the A-series ThinkPad over the T-series back when I
bought it.  Now, the newer T-series units all come with ATI Mobility
Radeons so the XFree support situation is probably improving.

Here:

  http://www.eh3.com/files/XF86Config-4  (KRUD 7.3)
  http://www.eh3.com/files/XF86Config    (KRUD 8.0)

are the config files for my ThinkPad A22p (IBM model: 2629-Y1U) as used
under both KRUD 7.3 and 8.0.  The KRUD 7.3 install would produce output
on-screen at 1600x1200 while simultaneously driving external projectors
at 1024x768.  It worked well on a few different projectors with one
notable exception at one of the CLUE-North meetings where it refused to
work even as I (hurriedly!) fiddled with the XF86Config settings.  I
have not yet had a chance to test the KRUD 8.0 install on a projector
but I'm confident that it will also work.

Good luck with your presentations!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483