[lug] Re: Another question on X. displaying at two resolutions simultaneously?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jan 1 17:42:53 MST 2003

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:04:48AM -0700, Ed Hill wrote:
>Flipping through "Fn-F7", my ThinkPad A22p running XFree 4.x will
>simultaneously display the same desktop image on both the LCD at
>1600x1200 and on a projector at 1024x768.  Of course, it looks a lot

Yeah, but your VGA port on the laptop isn't pumping out a 1024x768
signal in that case...  If your LCD is at 1600x1200, then it's probably
pushing that out the VGA port, and you're just lucky enough to have a
LCD projector that can take that signal and dumb it down to 1024x768.

Unfortunately, the original poster apparently doesn't have such a nice
projector...

If your laptop only has one video adapter, then you're going to be
limited to a single video output resolution.  If you've got two, you're
probably going to be using xinerama extensions and both displays will be
different content, but could be running at different resolutions.

My advice would be to live with the crappy looking display when running
a projector.  That's what most people do...

Sean
--
 "When doing vast computations, don't use half-vast algorithms"
                 -- James R. VanDoren