[lug] Qwest's Actiontec 1520 and Linux Success?

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Thu Jan 2 14:08:04 MST 2003

1.  A caution.  Does your friend actually own the Actiontec 1520?  I'm under
the impression that Qwest only rents them.  If someone knows differently,
I'd like to hear about it.  Under the current promotion and immediate past
promotion, Qwest is giving 12 months free modem rental, however, if service
is terminated <12 months, the user pays the $5/month charge for those months
used plus a restocking fee.  I'd assume they'll want $300 or more for a
missing device.  Ask him for a purchase receipt.

2.  In PPPoA mode you can configure it through the web interface.  In
bridged mode, you have to use the command line interface.  The buddy wizard
only runs on Windoze.

3.  The Actiontec 1520 is an Internet gateway device and lacks some advanced
routing features.  It is not a Cisco.  I don't believe it has VIP port
capacity, so it's limited to one subnet.  Not a problem, just a less
sophisticated device.

Caveat Emptor

Frank Whiteley
Greeley