[lug] Qwest's Actiontec 1520 and Linux Success?

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Thu Jan 2 23:45:22 MST 2003

675 is CAP only.  678 is CAP or DMT.  All new service is DMT.  For those
with existing CAP, Qwest will upgrade to DMT.  Under the promotion that
expires tomorrow, they will provide an Actiontec 1520 (rent free for 12
months) and DMT upgrade at no charge (or so they've stated to a client of
mine).  The upgrade was accomplished about two weeks ago, followed by a
disconnect order a week later.  Qwest often gets things backwards.  They
were back up later the same day.

For this particular client it was a good choice and the dB numbers are
better on the DMT than they were on the CAP.  Their old 675 was too old to
update to the latest CBOS.  The hub on the Actiontec allows him to work
Netmeeting, when needed, from a box outside of his firewalled LAN without
port forwarding or opening those nasty ports directly.

Frank Whiteley