[lug] mail

Bob Collins bcollins at fpcc.net
Mon Jan 6 21:48:12 MST 2003

Thanks Tim, I chose No Connection and I think it is back to the way I
have had it work in the past.  There has been so little traffic, I am
not sure.  I will move back to the new computer.  I normally get several
messages later in the evening.

"Timothy C. Klein" wrote:

> * Bob Collins (bcollins at fpcc.net) wrote:
> > jdavis wrote:

> > > what MTA and where is the mail supposed to go?
> >

> > Yast2 is the SuSE setup program.  I run Yast2 select Network/Basic/Mail
> > Transfer Agent.  I then choose Dial-up {already has (x) filled in} and I
> > then I see the following information filled in.
> >
> > Outgoing mail server smtp.fpcc.net
> >
> > Incoming Mail
> > Downloading
> > Server pop.fpcc.net
> > Protocol Auto
> > Remote user name bcollins
> > Password ******
> > Local user bob
> >
> > It doesn't indicate which MTA.
> >
> > Maybe I should select No connection instead of Dial-up and that would
> > fix the problem.  I will give it a try after I send this e-mail.
> >
> > I am on my old computer which I haven't screwed up for a while.  Thank
> > goodness I still have a computer that works on e-mail.
>
> MTA would just be the Mail Transfer Agent you like.  I use fetchmail,
> yours might like something else.
>
> Hmm, the behavior you are describing is the behavior I would expect.
> I would guess that may fetchmail is being used to get mail from your pop
> host and put into /var/spool/mail/bob.  You then just use mutt, Mozilla,
> Sylpheed, or whatever, and point it to that file.  You don't want this?
> If not, you would probably tell YAST not to get your mail from a POP
> server.  Then you could just use whatever mail agent you like, and make
> it download mail as you want/need.
>
> In the Unix philosophy, downloading mail from a pop server, and reading
> mail are two separate processes.  You can thus used totally different
> tools to the two jobs.  The program the reads the mail is the MUA: Mutt,
> Netscape, Mozilla, etc...
>
> Tim
> --

   Regards, Bob Collins
Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
hole in his head.