[lug] Reread /etc/reslov.conf

Wagner, Carl Carl.Wagner at Level3.com
Tue Jan 7 13:44:43 MST 2003

OK, I was getting ahead of myself.  I just installed RH 7.3.  For some
reason I don't have a /sbin/route.  Has that been deprecated?  Did I
mess something up when selecting packages?  If not, what package provides
route?  I used a old version from RH 7.2 to set up my default route, which
was missing and most likely the source of my original problem.

Thanks,
Carl.

-----Original Message-----
From: rm at fabula.de [mailto:rm at fabula.de]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 12:57 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] Reread /etc/reslov.conf

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 11:19:37AM -0800, Geoff Baysinger wrote:

> --- "Wagner, Carl" <Carl.Wagner at Level3.com> wrote:
> > How do I get Linux (RH 7.3) to re-read resolv.conf?  I know I can get
> > it to
> > work by rebooting but that is to much of a Windows-ism for me.  I
> > could not
> > find anything when looking at the man/info page for resolv.conf.
>
> I thought that changes to resolv.conf should be automatic.

Yes, the should.

> If you've changed it but are still seeing old DNS information, it is
> probably cached. Are you running named? You might stop/start named to
> see if it clears the DNS cache. I haven't had to do this for a long
> time (years) so I'm not sure if that will fix your issue or not.

Most likely not - named doesn't care about resolv.conf, that file
is used by the resolver, a C library.
A little bit more of information would help here. What are the symptoms?
(Define  "get it to work").
Some running applications might decide to cache DNS lookups or provide
their own reslover mechanism (netscape comes to mind :-)

 Ralf Mattes