[lug] OT but desperate (win 98 won't boot)

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Jan 7 21:36:42 MST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 07:48:21PM -0700, luke p wrote:
> I would suggest, if possible, to take that drive out of the computer, and
> place it in another win computer as a secondary (or slave) drive, use the
> drive that works to get the data you need, make your backups, etc.. then
> throw the drive back in its origional comp, format and install. should be
> the easiest way to wipe the mess on the drive, though your method of
> installing windows could be another problem.

For sure - even if you install Windows into a new directory, the install program will pick up an unknown amount of info from the original directory.

> I've sometimes had problems installing using the setup directly off the cd,
> what i would suggest is (if you don't already know, but you seem like you
> know what your doing, so sorry if it might seem watered down)
> i always start with a clean drive, off of the cd boot to a dos prompt, make
> the dirs c:\windows\options\cabs
> then copy off of the cd everything in the \win98\ directory into the \cabs\
> directory and then go to the \cabs\ dir, run the setup from there, and that
> should work better.

And if you ever install hardware or software (like some network protocols), you won't have to go hunting for that fershlugginer Win98 CD - the system will pick up the files it needs from the cabs directory.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)