[lug] Rehash: Ethernet Sound Card

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Jan 8 08:50:26 MST 2003

Some of you may recall the somewhat tiresome thread I started about an
"Ethernet Sound Card."  Sadly, I have deleted my old LUG mail so I can't
continue the thread.

The reason I bring it back up, however, is that it seems someone has done
exactly what I was talking about.  Slashdot has an article at
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/08/1324235&mode=thread&tid=137
and my original message is available at
http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2002.09/msg00107.html

They guy's actual page is totally /.ed right now, but it looks like it
takes raw PCM over Ethernet.  The only difference seems to be that he is
using a custom CPU instead of a DAC.  Why he is doing that, I have no
idea.  But then, I'm not an EE :-P

-Peter