[lug] Rehash: Ethernet Sound Card

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Jan 8 11:05:24 MST 2003

> I saw the /. post this morning too. It looks similar to the slimp3
> player (http://www.slimp3.com/). Check it out if you haven't, it might
> interest you.

Nope, this still has the same old problem.  It is a /decoder/.  I'm
looking for a device (like the one on /.) that just takes plain old PCM
(over plain old Ethernet) for input.  This thing plays MP3s.

My dream device is not aware of MP3 or OGG or anything.  It would,
therefore, play files encoded in codecs that don't even exist yet without
a firmware upgrade.

Beyond that the slimp3 has an IP stack!  What's that for?

-Peter